Currie RFC Logo
1st XV 2nd XV 3rd XV Colts
Latest News
Fixtures & Results
Coaches & Officials
Find Us
Saturday 23 September - Lunch at the Clubhouse - and Ivors match report for Boroughmuir game
A great start to the season for Currie Chieftains - 3 wins out of 3 and Ben and the squad are looking for a large Currie support at Malleny Park this Saturday for the game against Ayr.
Why not start the day off with a pre-match lunch - 1 for 1.30pm. New caterers, new food and all for £12.50 per head.
Click here for the Boroughmuir match highlights video
Ivor's report on Boroughmuir game on Saturday:-

A view from the touchline – BT Premier League: 16.9.17.

Boroughmuir Rugby 15 pts (t 2, c 1, pg 1) v Currie Chieftains 23 pts (t 2, c 2, pg 3)

A heavy shower greeted supporters on their arrival at Meggetland, and unfortunately the intermittent rain continued throughout the match. There was brightness on the horizon, but insufficient to have any effect on the slippery conditions which had the ball and players sliding about to bring a degree of unpredictability to a contest that was never boring, and always a close-fought affair. Currie made the most of their first half opportunities, but ‘Muir cut the errors and reeled the visitors in. It was only in the last quarter of the match, when the hosts’ demons crept back to haunt them, that the Chieftains confidence and speed stole the spoils.

Conditions were not muddy, but the sheen of moisture that covered the green pitch saw early exchanges peppered with faults, as the ball slipped out of control to cause mayhem in both camps, and nervous excitement amongst supporters. Within five minutes, ‘Muir, who had most of the possession and accompanying errors, dropped the ball on halfway; Rhys Davies, reliable in every aspect of his play, hacked the loose ball forward; unfortunately it skidded over the dead-ball line before the chasing Harvey Elms could reach it. Were it not for some outstanding defensive work from Thomas Gordon, Hamish Bain and the Chieftains’ front row, the hosts could have taken the lead. Currie finally cleared the danger and started to gain momentum as they edged towards the ‘Muir 22. Conscious of the Chieftains’ ability behind the scrum, ‘Muir anticipated the ball moving wide; Michael Vernel spotted the enormous gap that this created, and he careered 25 metres without impediment for a simple try which Jamie Forbes had no problem converting.

Although the midfield tussle was occasionally disrupted by an exciting flurry into one or other 22, Currie managed to convert their attacks into points via the reliable boot of Jamie Forbes, whereas ‘Muir struggled for continuity in the opposition red zone with dropped passes and a missed penalty kick. The Meggetland team certainly had enough possession and territory, but they could not break down a resolute Chieftains defence where Robbie Nelson, Ben Robbins, Cammy Gray, Mike Vernel and Vince Wright excelled.

Halftime score – Boroughmuir 0 pts, Currie 13 pts

Another heavy shower during the break had spectators filling the main stand and talking of a second half lottery whenever the ball slipped loose. The ‘Muir halftime team talk certainly spiced up proceedings. From the re-start they were soon exerting pressure in the visitors’ 22. This was desperate stuff for the Chieftains, whose misfiring lineout gifted possession to the rampant opposition. However, in the wet conditions Currie’s defence was coping well, but they were caught off-side and Chris Laidlaw put ‘Muir on the score board. A few minutes later, enthusiastic young hooker, Campbell Wilson was given a yellow card and ‘Muir made their extra man count; Lewis Carmichael scored following some close quarter soften-up; Laidlaw converted.

Chieftains were finding it difficult to break loose of the hold that ‘Muir had imposed on the game. Even when they did get into the opposition half, the visitors lost possession and some astute positional kicking pinned them back. As the tension rose, a very neat chip-kick from Chris Laidlaw was gathered by the accelerating fullback, Greig Cannie, who crashed over. The try was not converted, but ‘Muir’s unanswered fifteen points took them into the lead. A further score was avoided by a try-saving Robbie Nelson tackle.

Into the final quarter, and a sense of urgency concentrated Currie minds. Now back to fifteen men, they exerted a prolonged period of control which had been absent for most of the half. A succession of 5-metre line-out drives went close, and when the referee spotted an infringement, it was the ‘Muir hooker’s time to spend ten minutes in the bin. With ‘Muir just hanging in, and the outcome still uncertain, Jamie Forbes made a magical break; it deserved more than the penalty that he then kicked. Charlie Shiel also opened the defensive wall, as did Ben Robbins, whose chip-and-chase was thwarted by the dead-ball line. In the final minutes and under extreme pressure, a ‘Muir clearance kick was charged down; Vince Wright was the quickest to react, and the hard-working lock hacked on; this time his 20-metre dash reached the ball just before it scooted out of play. It was a nail-biting finish to a very tight match. At home to Ayr next weekend for another high profile encounter; a real tester - KO 3.00pm. IJS, 17.9.17.

Updated 18/09/2017 by Ian Gidney