U14: update 19 March 2017
The sun shone on The Inch in Perth today for our match against Perthshire RFC. The site of the Battle of the Clans in 1396 was apt for a tremendously physical game with both sides not asking for or being given a metre. Some superb tackling from both sides made this a tight but nonetheless absorbing game with a lot of skill, determination and sheer guts on show.
After 60 minutes of full-on rugby the score ended up Perthshire RFC 7-16 Currie RFC. Currie's points game from tries from Cavens (2), Culllen (2) and Crombie with Macallum slotting one goal. The bald score does, however, hide the hard work put in by both sides and we thank our hosts for their sport and hospitality.
This week's notes:
* As you should have been told, the U14 squad won the Currie RFC 'Team of the Year' trophy at the Annual Club Dinner on Friday evening. Arrmsworth, Crombie and Hartley represented the squad to collect the trophy which will be presented to the full squad at the Youth Dinner.
* Training is at Malleny 3G at 18.00 on Tuesday. I am still waiting on final confirmation of 3G bookings after the clocks go forward but will let you know as soon as I do.
* Next Sunday we have our last friendly fixture of the season before moving to tournaments and touring teams after Easter. We are away to GHA RFC at Braidholm. The squad will be announced mid-week as normal. Meet time will be 11.30 for a 12.30 KO at Braiddholm. M8 roadworks and clocks going forward could make it interesting!
* I will not be at training on Tuesday but can I ask that those who have not done so bring their money for the Youth Dinner then and give it to Graham Hartley. The hotel needs to be paid on Friday. I shall contact you individually as a reminder.
* Currie RFC rugby camp reminder: it'd be good to get as many of our squad along to this camp as possible. It will be a tough run in to the end of the season and this skill-based session will be useful for the boys.
* I will be sending out voting details for the Players' Player of the Year later. Please ask your son to take a minute or so to vote.
* Finally, planning is well under way for both our tournament on 30 April and the visit of FC Montpellier the following Saturday. Thanks to the tournament committee for their superb support so far. We will also need some people to help with arrangements for the touring French team, and I'll send details out this week.
Currie RFC U14 Team Manager
Updated 19/03/2017 by